Viabilità Italia: online the Snow Plan 2021-2022
The Plan has been developed in collaboration with Viabilità Italia's authorities and administrations, including the Civil Protection Department.
The Snow Plan of Viabilità Italia for the winter season 2021-2022 is available on the State Police's website.
The aim of the document is to prevent and address possible critical issues for road traffic in case of adverse weather conditions. The document foresees all the measures implemented in case of snow or ice by the Traffic Police and by the concessionaires and owners of roads and freeways.
The State Police recommends to everyone planning to travel in the next few months to check, before leaving, the efficiency of the vehicle and of the tires, to be informed in time about the expected weather conditions; to be aware of the traffic conditions also paying attention to the content of the Variable Message Signs (VMS), during the trip.
It is also possible to receive information on road and freeway conditions:
- by calling the C.C.I.S. free number 1518;
- by listening to Rai Isoradio (FM 103.3) and Onda Verde news broadcasts (on Radio 1, 2 and 3); by consulting the websites cciss.it and mobile.cciss.it, and the websites of the individual freeway concessionary companies.
The document sets out:
- the geographical areas most exposed to snow risk
- the guidelines with the indication of the color codes relating to the intensity of snowfall;
- the stretches of freeway where the temporary stoppage of heavy vehicles may be implemented and an indication of the areas where they may accumulate with the number of parking bays available;
- the list of suburban roads and freeways where it is compulsory to carry snow chains on board or to drive with winter tires fitted;
- the operational protocol adopted in case of emergency
- the procedures to follow in case of freezing rain
- More information on the Snow Plan 2021-2022 are available on the State Police's website.