Mesimex 2006 Drill
- Mesimex 2006 Drill
- The eruptive phase and the national emergency plan
- Objectives of the drill
- The scenario and the programme
- Parties involved
- Safeguarding archaeological assets
Objectives of the drill
Mesimex 2006 regards the preparatory phase of a volcanic emergency in the area of Vesuvius.
Attention is paid in particular to activity by Vesuvius from declaration of the attention level through to evacuation of the population from the area at risk, before the volcanic eruption starts. The aim is to check and improve emergency procedures and draw up a common model for emergency management.
It also tests the response efficiency of European Union member states for the first time, through the intervention model of VETs (Volcano Expert Teams) and FASTs (Foreigners Assistance and Support Teams).
Objectives of the drill:
- to experiment Community Mechanism for civil protection procedures;
- to involve participating countries (France, Spain, Portugal and Sweden), in both the preparatory phase and during the exercise through the creation of a network of experts and comparison of different intervention methods;
- to share technical-scientific experience, through the use of VETs, comparing different work methods and improving the research centre networks;
- to analyse management know-how of emergencies and Civil Protection Systems in the event of a big volcano emergency;
- to test activation and coordination of the structures in the diplomatic network in an emergency situation and the capacity to localise and assist foreign citizens in the areas at risk through the use of FASTs;
- to test activities between European Union liaison officers in management of relations between diplomatic offices and the Command and Control Headquarters (Di.Coma.C);
- to spread information about the volcanic risk to the population and in schools, raising awareness of the National Emergency Plan for Vesuvius and relative levels of alert;
- to improve collaboration between European Union member states in the field of civil protection through post-exercise troubleshooting;
- to show the potential of the European Civil Protection through interactive videos and raise awareness regarding emergency response capacities throughout European countries;
- to perfect the capacity to receive, use and coordinate international teams and experts;
- to experiment the intervention model for safeguarding cultural assets in the area at risk.