30% of the territory in our country is made up of forests, marked by a great variety of species adapting themselves, during the course of millenniums, to the extraordinary variability of the climates, from the sub-arid ones in the extreme south of the peninsula to the nival ones in the Alpine arc. Italy’s forestry heritage, one of the biggest in Europe for extension and variety of species, is an immense wealth for environment and economy, the territory’s equilibrium, conservation of the biodiversity and countryside. Woodlands are moreover a natural habitat to many animal and vegetable species.
Yet every year tens of thousands of hectares of woodlands are burnt either by wilful or culpable fire, linked with building speculation, neglect and carelessness of man. 12% of the domestic forestry heritage has been destroyed on the last thirty years.
The consequences for the natural equilibrium are very serious and the times needed to restore the forestry and environmental ecosystem are very long. Moreover the changes in the natural conditions of the soil caused by fires favour the instability phenomena on mountain sides causing the top strata of the soil to come away and slide downwards, with heavy rainfalls.
The summer months are at the greatest risk, when aridity, high temperatures and strong winds evaporate a part of the water held back by the plants, bringing about natural favourable conditions for fires to break out and spread.
Campagna Aib 2012
La campagna antincendio boschivo 2012 parte il 15 giugno e si conclude il 30 settembre.
- Decreto del Presidente della Repubblica n. 40 del 5 aprile 2013: regolamento per il trasferimento della flotta aerea antincendio della protezione civile al Dipartimento del Vigili del Fuoco e della Difesa Civile
- Indirizzi operativi del Presidente del Consiglio dei Ministri del 13 giugno 2012 per fronteggiare gli incendi boschivi, di interfaccia e i rischi conseguenti per la stagione estiva 2012
- May 14, 2013 - Aib Campaign 2013: technical-organizative meeting at the Department
The air fleet to fight forest fires has been reduced
- April 12, 2013 - I am the Civil Protection too: applications to organize school camps now open
Volunteering organizations can apply up to 6 May
- February 11, 2013 - Incendi boschivi: al via la quinta edizione del seminario informativo per Dos
Il corso per Direttori delle operazioni di spegnimento si svolge dall’11 al 14 febbraio nella sede del Dipartimento