For civil protection purposes, risk is the possibility that a natural or man-made phenomenon may cause damage to the population, inhabited and production areas and infrastructures in a given area in a certain period of time.
The concept of risk is linked not only to the capacity to calculate the probability that a hazardous event may occur, but also to the capacity of defining the damage caused. Risk and hazard are not the same thing: hazard is the calamity that may strike a certain area (the cause), the risk refers to its possible consequences, in other words the damage that may be expected (the effect).
For concrete assessment of a risk therefore, it is not enough to know the hazard, but it is also necessary to carefully estimate the exposed value, in other words the assets in the area that may be affected by an event.
Risk can therefore be expressed by the formula: R = H x V x E
H = Hazard: the probability that a phenomenon of a certain intensity occurs in a certain period of time, in a certain area.
V = Vulnerability: vulnerability of an element (people, building, infrastructures, businesses) is the potential for damage following vibration caused by an event of a certain intensity.
E = Exposure: or Exposed value: is the unit number (or “value”) of each of the elements at risk in a given area, like human lives or inhabited areas.
Italy a geologically young country. This “youthfulness” derives from the particular dynamics of the country, at a high risk of natural calamities, from earthquakes to volcanic eruptions. In addition to natural phenomena there are also those caused by man, often linked to bad territory management.
Emergencies in Italy
This section - continually updated - shows some of the main emergencies that hit our country. The intervention of the Civil Protection Department is described for each emergency.
Seismic risk emergencies
Volcanic risk emergencies
Hydrogeological risk emergencies
Health risk emergencies
Environmental risk emergencies
- June 12, 2013 - Surveyors and Civil Protection: an informative day
The seminar is part of the Memorandum of Understanding with CNGeGL
- June 5, 2013 - “Civil Protection and Volcanic Risk”: sixth training course
The course held from 3 to 6 June was dedicated to essential services
- May 20, 2013 - “Seismic microzonation”: live streaming of the workshop on 22 and 23 May
Intervention and discussions of the two days of works are available on our website
This section shows the main international emergencies to which the Italian Civil Protection Departiment participated both autonomously and within missions coordinated by the European Civil Protection Mechanism.
Seismic risk emergencies
Photos and Videos
- Workshop sulla microzonazione sismica
- "Terremoto - Io non rischio" la seconda sessione di formazione dei volontari impegnati nella campagna
- "Terremoto - io non rischio": la formazione dei volontari presso la Scuola Superiore dell'Amministrazione dell'Interno
- Progetto DRHOUSE: dimostrazione conclusiva sul macromodulo di protezione civile Build-Safe
- Al Paladozza di Bologna “Una giornata per dire grazie” (foto gentilmente concesse dalla Regione Emilia Romagna)