National Functional Centre for Volcanic Risk
The National Functional Centre for Volcanic Risk (Cfc-rv) is the internal technical-scientific support structure of the Civil Protection Department that carries out:
• acquisition, sharing, synthesis and elaboration of data from the Centres of Competence that monitor and supervise active Italian volcanoes;
• simulation of effects and assessment of those actually or potentially exposed, using models developed in-house or in collaboration with the Centre of Competence;
• criticality assessment to assist decision-making;
• elaboration and diffusion of surveillance and criticality bulletins and, if necessary, event reports and criticality warnings.
The Cfc-rv ordinarily operates in a state of surveillance (12 hours/day) and depending on the various criticality levels moves to a state of alert and, if necessary, of alarm (24/7) adopting the set procedures.
The Cfc-rv receives signals from the main monitoring and surveillance systems run by the Centres of Competence to enable, in the event of a volcanic crisis, real-time sharing of data and information and rapid criticality assessment.
The Centres of Competence for volcanic risk are:
• the various sections of the National Institute for Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV) in Naples, Catania, Palermo, Rome and Pisa);
• The Department of Earth Sciences at Florence University (UniFi);
• Centro Studi Plinivs, Federico II University in Naples.
The Cfc-rv also relies on support from the Advanced Operations Centre in Stromboli and its local structures:
• Customs Guards Corps Alpine Rescue (SAGF);
• Sicily Regional Forestry Corps (CFRS).
Tools and products to support decision-making.
The Cfc-rv ensures that information regarding the state of activity of Italian volcanoes is sent to the Italian National Operations Room, to other Department offices and to competent local bodies, through dedicated products published on the reserved access National alert system internet site.
Using information from the Centres of Competence and local structures, the Central Functional Centre for Volcanic Risk elaborates a weekly “Surveillance and criticality bulletin for Italian volcanoes”, which gives available information regarding the state of activity of each of the active volcanoes, with critical assessment for each one.